Mount Eden Village People is a community group, dedicated to positive change towards a more sustainable lifestyle within our community.
We are passionate about bringing people together to initiate changes that benefits the wider community and leads towards zero waste.
To make this transformation happen we are working together with our community and other community groups to minimise waste, to plant fruit trees on public land and to offer workshops to encourage the growing of your own food.
2006 is the year when we first met with the vision to be the first plastic bag free suburb Auckland. We began by working mainly with the shops in Mt Eden village, as we believe that consumers will observe the changes shops have implemented and start to make changes in their everyday life.
We have gradually expanded that vision and now are working with 1/3 of the shops in Mt Eden village by offering assistance for shop owners to create more sustainable practices including waste reduction, recycling and replacing plastic products with alternative products which are biodegradable and compostable.
Mount Eden Village People has developed the following initiatives for our community
- Free fruit for our community: Planting of fruit trees on public land, parks and reserves, schools and kindergartens.
- Waste reduction: Implementing systems for minimising waste with local shops.
- Food gardens in the city: Offering a selection of organic gardening workshops, to encouraging residents to grow their own food.
- Plastic bag free Mt Eden: Introducing alternative and environmentally safe products to the shop owners.
- Community garden: Started a community garden in October 2010 to create a food garden and compost system for our community.
We meet once a month to follow up on existing projects and to discuss new ones. Meetings are capped at one hour, they are practical with an action list at the end.
Thank you for working towards a sustainable community by taking action today.