Use coffee grinds in the garden
Coffee by-products can be used in the garden and worm farm as follows:
- Sprinkle used coffee grinds around plants before rain or watering, for a slow-release nitrogen.
- Add to compost piles to increase nitrogen balance. Coffee filters and tea bags break down rapidly during composting.
- Dilute with water for a gentle, fast-acting liquid fertilizer. Use about 230grams can of wet grounds in a 19 litre bucket of water; let sit outdoors to achieve ambient temperature.
- Mix into soil for houseplants or new vegetable beds.
- Encircle the base of the plant with a coffee and eggshell barrier to repel pests.
- If you are into vermi-posting, feed a little bit to your worms.
This entry was posted on Thursday, February 25th, 2010 at 2:26 am and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.