Archive for February, 2010
February 25th, 2010
Coffee by-products can be used in the garden and worm farm as follows:
- Sprinkle used coffee grinds around plants before rain or watering, for a slow-release nitrogen.
- Add to compost piles to increase nitrogen balance. Coffee filters and tea bags break down rapidly during composting.
- Dilute with water for a gentle, fast-acting liquid fertilizer. Use about 230grams can of wet grounds in a 19 litre bucket of water; let sit outdoors to achieve ambient temperature.
- Mix into soil for houseplants or new vegetable beds.
- Encircle the base of the plant with a coffee and eggshell barrier to repel pests.
- If you are into vermi-posting, feed a little bit to your worms.
February 23rd, 2010
Event submitted by the Mount Eden Business Association:
Mt Eden Village Saturday March 27 will host our Village Fete along Mt Eden Rd. A very successful event for our community and a lot of fun. There will be stalls, trading tables and lots of food to sample. There will be street entertainment and music to dance along with. Mt Eden Rotary will be raising money for the Maxine Scholarship. For more information visit www.mounteden.co.nz
February 19th, 2010
The community board meets on the 24.2.2010 to inform us about the funding and the number of fruit trees that will be planted for our communities this year.
February 16th, 2010
News from the Community Garden Group:
“The group who formed the Mt Eden Community Garden group have decided to become an incorporated society. We met with the council last week to find out if they would allow us (the Mt Eden Community Garden group & Hand Weavers & Spinners Guild) to jointly apply for a lease of 25 Poronui Street before our incorporation had come through. We got a definitive no. Both entities had to have a legal entity. A solution was offered that the Garden Group would join the Spinners and Weavers Guild and they would have part of their objectives would be to pursue organic gardening and to grow dye plants. We are now applying under the Hand Weavers & Spinners Guild for the lease. We have gained letters of support from various organisations- noteably Friends of Maungawhau, Mount Eden Village People, Disabled Citizens Centre, Lynda Hallinan- NZ Gardener so far.”
February 15th, 2010
Artists in Eden day: A great day where you can see top quality artwork in the making. If you go along to enjoy this fantastic event, come and visit us at the corner of Ngaruahoe St and Mt Eden Rd (by the church). We’ll be there from 11am to 1pm promoting the community garden and catching up with our community. Look forward to seeing you if you can come along.